We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Purposefully grey and silver hair is a trending option for people wanting a unique hair colour without going a wild bright colour. There are many options for transforming your hair into a beautiful grey or silver. You can either opt for a permanent dye for long lasting results, a semi permanent hair colour for less damaging results that still last a few weeks. If you want to experiment with these colours, or just have fun for a day, hair make up/temporary hair dye is the best option to try a new look risk free.
Any kind of colour added into your hair has the potential to damage it a bit, so we have also included a few options for hair treatments to keep your hair healthy while you are rocking the silver tones. There are even conditioners and shampoos that deposit colour into your hair as you wash!
All the products on this list are available to purchase on Amazon.
15 Best Grey & Silver Hair Dyes
1.) L’Oreal Paris Feria Multi-Faceted Shimmering Permanent Hair Color, Smokey Silver
A bold permanent hair dye that gives the appearance of highlights with a bold colour.
- Feria dyes produce a multi-faceted, shimmering colour, perfect for those who want a bold look that will turn heads. The dye use icy silver tones to create an edgy, smokey grey.
- The dye gives the look of multiple tones in each strand of hair, giving the illusion of the professional dye job.
- This pack includes a Power Shimmer Conditioner that will seal in the colour and smooth the hair without wrecking it.
- This Smokey Silver colour was their hair colour of the year in 2019.
- This option has an impressive average 4.1 star rating on Amazon from a huge number of reviewers (over 7000!).
– This hair dye is not recommended if you are wanting to cover up grey hairs.
Available on Amazon:
2.) Schwarzkopf göt2b Metallics Permanent Hair Color in Metallic Silver
A long lasting permanent hair dye for metallic silver hair at an affordable price.
- This long lasting hair dye has an anti-fading effect to keep your hair looking good for longer.
- Göt2b Metallics Permanent Hair is one of the most affordable options on this list.
- This dye works on all hair textures, so you can use it to dye any natural hair as well as wigs or extensions!
- This colour is only suitable for bleach blond hair and light blond hair.
- There are mixed reviews on Amazon as to the effectiveness of this dye.
Available on Amazon:
3.) Clairol Color Crave Temporary Hair Color Makeup, Shimmering Platinum
A commitment free temporary hair colour that is suitable for all hair shades and easy to apply.
- This dye washes out easily after one or two shampoos, perfect for a fun once off look or to try something different to see if it suits you!
- It is suitable for many hair colours from the lightest blonds to the darkest brunettes.
- The tube of dye has a sponge applicator at the end of it, making it easy to apply straight to your hair.
- The damage free formula contains no ammonia, peroxide or parabens so you don’t have to worry about wrecking your hair.
- This dye will only last for one to two washes, so it will ending up being quite expensive if you want silver hair every day.
- Some Amazon reviews have said that applying this colour is quite a messy experience.
Available on Amazon:
4.) Moroccan Oil Color Depositing Mask Temporary Color Deep Conditioning Treatment in Platinum
A dual purpose mask that deposits colour into your hair while conditioning it.
- This colour is perfect for banishing brassiness and making blond colours look ice cool.
- Use can use this to try out a colour change or maintain platinum hair.
- You can leave this product in for less or more time depending on the intensity of colour you want.
- It has a 4.2 star average customer rating from over 900 reviews.
- The pigments from this treatment are not permanent and do eventually wash out.
Available on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Moroccanoil-Color-Depositing-Mask-Platinum/dp/B07VPCVW2Z?th=1
5.) Lunar Tides Hair Dye Grey DIY Ombre Hair Dye Kit
A semi-permanent hair dye kits for creating two toned ombre hair that is suitable for vegans.
- This dye is cruelty free and suitable for vegan customers.
- Lunar Tides hair dye does not damage the hair and does not require a developer.
- This kit includes two different dye colours, Slate Grey (medium grey shade) and Silver Lining (pastel silver shade) to create a two toned ombre look at home.
- The kit also includes a tint brush for easy application.
- Only suitable for platinum or very light blond hair.
- Some Amazon reviews said the colour washed out very quickly.
Available on Amazon:
6.) Keracolor Color + Clenditioner in Silver
An in shower conditioner that puts colour into your hair with every wash.
- Keracolor Clenditioner is super convenient: you simply use it in place of your regular conditioner to cleanse away dirt and impurities while depositing colour into your hair.
- This product is vegan and cruelty free, perfect for animal lovers!
- Keracolour is sulfate and paraben free.
- The results of using this product can last for up to 10-15 washes.
- This product is good for maintaining colour in between salon visits, but to dye your hair initially a more permanent dye kit would be a better choice.
Available on Amazon:
7.) L’Oréal Paris Colorista 1-Day Temporary Hair Color Spray
A temporary hair dye that can be mixed with other dyes to create your perfect hair style.
- This dye washes out with shampoo, so you can change your hair colour as often as you like.
- The dye is gentle on your skin, eliminating the need for gloves.
- You can combine the silver dye with other colours in this range for a more unique look.
- This silver colour is only recommend for blondes.
- Hair make-up is more suitable for dying a few strands than an overall hair colour change.Available on Amazon:
8.) Adore Semi-Permanent Haircolor #150 Platinum 4-Ounce
A hair dye that leaves your hair feeling healthy and smooth while infusing it with vibrant colour.
- Adore used a blend of natural ingredient in the dye, avoiding ammonia, peroxide, and alcohol.
- This leaves your hair in a better condition than before colour, leaving it soft and silky.
- The colour created with this product is natural looking, perfect for those wanting a more subtle look.
- This is one of the most affordable hair dyes in this list.
– Some Amazon reviewers say this colour is initially a bit purple and then fades to true platinum.
9.) Olaplex Hair Perfector No 3 Repairing Treatment, 3.3 Ounce
A at home repair treatment to keep your hair healthy and minimise the damage done from colouring your hair.
- This product is a great addition to your hair care routine is you are using one of the permanent or semi permanent dye options on this list that can cause damage to your hair.
- Olaplex Hair Perfector No.3 has an impressive 4.4 average star rating on Amazon from over 800 happy customers.
- You only need to use this once a week to eliminate chemical breakage in your hair.
– It is not a very affordable conditioning option, not great for beauties on a budget.
10.) Arctic Fox Vegan and Cruelty-Free Semi-Permanent Hair Color Dye
A mid priced semi permanent dye that is perfect for vegans.
- Arctic Fox does not test on animals and their dye is suitable for vegans.
- The colour is long lasting.
- This dye contains no harmful chemicals and has a pleasant, sweet smell.
- This colour is made to fade in the colour spectrum of the dye, so as it fades it will continue to be in the same hue.
- It also conditions your hair to keep it feeling soft.
- Your hair needs to already be a very light platinum to use the Sterling Silver dye, but you can mix a warmer tone with it if you have pretty light but not platinum blonde hair.
- This is not the most affordable option on this list.
Available on Amazon:
11.) Purple Hair Mask for Blonde, Platinum & Silver Hair from Bold Uniq
A treatment for silver and blond hair that keeps your hair the desired colour by minimising yellowing tones.
- Purple hair mask prevents colour fade and maintains the brightness of your colour by shielding your hair from harmful UV rays from the sun.
- The deep violet tones of this product helps neutralise yellow and brassy tones.
- It also conditions your hair, to keep it soft and luxurious.
- This product is a great choice for eco conscious consumers as it is cruelty free, sulfate & paraben free, suitable for vegans and the jar is made from recycled plastic.
- It boasts an impressive 4.4 average star rating from over 11000 customers!
- Asides from the not very budget friendly price tag, it’s difficult to find a con with this product.
12.) Alien Grey Hair Dye by Manic Panic
A cool medium slate grey hair dye that is semi permanent.
- This hair dye is cruelty free and vegan.
- Manic Panic donates 15% of all profits to charity, making the world a better place.
- The results of this dye last 4-6 weeks.
- It comes in a resealable jar for multiple uses and less waste.
- It is not suitable for covering grey hairs.
- It is not the most affordable option on this list.
Available on Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Manic-Panic-Voltage-Classic-Formula/dp/B07J21XFV2/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?dchild=1&keywords=Manic%2BPanic%2BAlien%2BGrey%2BMedium%2BSlate%2BGrey%2BHair%2BDye&qid=1598398309&sr=8-2-fkmr0&th=1
13.) Viral Colorwash: Silver Color Depositing Shampoo Concentrate
A colour depositing shampoo that dyes your hair and maintains the colour with every wash.
- Simple to use, you can get a bold colour just by shampooing your hair.
- As it is gentle enough to be a shampoo, you can maintain a strong hair colour without excessively damaging your hair.
- This products combats unwanted brassy and yellow tones that can be visible when silver hair starts to fade.
- There are not many reviews of this product on Amazon, making it difficult to know if this shampoo is as effective as it claims to be.
Available on Amazon:
14.) Oribe Silverati Shampoo
A luxury shampoo that undoes dullness and yellow tones to keep your hair bright grey or white.
- This product won the Ebony 2017 Innovative Beauty Awards.
- It gently cleans your hair without drying it out, keeping it soft and improving elasticity.
- This dermatologist-tested shampoo brightens your silver and grey hairs while minimising yellow tones.
- It is cruelty free and vegan.
- It also provides UV protection for your hair.
– One of the most expensive items on this list, this is quite a financial commitment to grey/silver hair.
Available on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/ORIBE-Oribe-Silverati-Shampoo/dp/B084DW1VZM
15.) Manic Panic Blue Steel Hair Color – Amplified – (2PK) Semi-Permanent Hair Dye – Cool Silver Hair Dye with Blue Undertones
A long lasting semi-permanent silver hair dye with blue undertones.
- This dye has 3 x the pigments of regular Manic Panic dye, which means the results can last for up to 6-8 weeks!
- You can mix this dye with other Manic Panic colours to create a unique shade. Manic Panic has over 25 shades you can mix this with.
- This product is not tested on animals and uses 100% vegan ingredients.
- This dye is ready to use, no mixing or measuring required.
– Only suitable for hair that has been pre-lightened.
Available on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Manic-Panic-Amplified-Semi-Permanent-Color/dp/B01IRV0QE8
We hope this list of products has helped you work out what silver or grey hair dye product is most suitable for you. Happy hair dyeing!
15 Best Eyebrow Tinting Kits To Keep Your Brows Full At Home
11 Best Eyebrow Tweezers 2020 For Hair Removal & Quick Grooming
25 Best Root Touch Ups to Cover Gray Roots Between Colorings
21 Best Lip Plumper Products of 2020
21 Best Long Lasting Perfumes For Women & Men
11 Best At Home Microdermabrasion Kits 2020
15 Best Organic Hair Color / Hair Dye Brands
21 Best Hair Colors to Cover Stubborn Grey Hair For Women in 2020
11 Best Detox Tea For Weight Loss in 2020: Reviews
17 Best Green Tea Brand in The World For Weight Loss in 2020
11 Best Skincare Products in India in 2020
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.