We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
We most commonly associate ageing with two physical changes — wrinkles, and greying hair. While wrinkles can be a tricky issue to deal with, grey hair is significantly easier (not to mention cheaper!)
Finding the right hair colour and the right product, however, is a little easier said than done. We’ve compiled a list of 21 of the best professional hair colors to cover stubborn grey hairs for women to make it a little easier and we have listed all hair color ideas with which type of hairs they are suited the most whether blonde or brunettes we have an option for all hair types as well as skin tone.
In This Article
21 Best Hair Colors to Cover Stubborn Grey Hair in 2020
Ideal for light to platinum blonde hair with gray undertones.
Revlon ColorSilk is made with Revlon’s 3D Gel Technology, a special formulation used to give a natural, multi-dimensional appearance to your hair. This saves you from an obvious “dyed” appearance and keeps your hair looking youthful for longer.
- Free from amonia.
- UV Defense formulation keeps color vibrant even if you spend a good deal of time outdoors.
- Simple to use.
- Leaves hair feeling luxurious after application.
- Red tones in the finished look (very slight).
- Fades relatively quickly as it is a light shade.
For those whose natural hair color straddles the line between blonde and a light brown. This permanent hair color is an excellent choice to cover any emerging grey hairs. Clairol promises their product will give you 100% coverage of your pesky grays, and is formulated to reduce the chance of developing hair dye allergies.
- Suitable for hair of all types and textures.
- Conditions and colors at the same time.
- Up to 2 months of coverage.
- Unpleasant odor while dyeing.
- Slight orange tint in the finished look.
For blonde hair with warm undertones. This box promises you gorgeous coverage for your gray hair — and they’re not wrong. The most resilient of gray hairs will feel the might of L’Oreal Paris Excellence Creme, formulated with ceramide, pro-keratin complex, and collagen. Your hair will be nourished and protected, all while attaining a natural color.
- Comes with a pre-treatment to protect hairs that are already color treated from undergoing color buildup on their ends.
- Non-drip formulation for less mess.
- Blends naturally into existing hair color, perfect for those with only slightly graying hair.
- Doesn’t condition hair like some other dyes — in fact, will leave your hair a bit dry.
- Fades quickly.
For light to medium warm-toned blonde hair. Wella Professionals Color Charm Permanent Liquid is made with Liquifuse Technology. This special formulation boasts fade resistance results and full gray coverage, even on the most stubborn gray hairs. This brand prides itself on its conditioning properties, offering over 40% more shine and around 60% better conditioning than the competitors and is best suited for those looking for dark hair.
- Pleasant floral aroma.
- Expect your hair to be a slightly darker shade than anticipated.
- Stains very easily, so be careful with clothes and work surfaces when using.
Not quite blonde, not quite red? This permanent liqui-creme is for you! More than just rejuvenating hair color, Zotos promises to rejuvenate the hair itself. AGEBeautiful Permanent Liqui-Creme will restore color, shine, moisture, and softness with its special formulation. Features melanin, keratin and peptide, along with silk protein and conditioning agent.
- The consistency of the “liqui-creme” makes application easy.
- Lasts up to 8 weeks.
- Even color coverage and even fade.
- May be a darker shade than advertised.
Lightest Auburn Hair: L’Oreal Paris Superior Preference Color
For light red to copper toned hair.This hair color from L’Oreal Paris comes in the form of a clear, easy to apply gel. It covers stubborn gray hairs and leaves you with a shiny, luminous color. Special dyes in the formulation ensure a long-lasting result, while camelina oil, vitamin E, and a UV filter bring your hair to life.
- Conditions the hair well, leaving it feeling soft and luxurious.
- Quick to wash out.
- Lasts up to 8 weeks.
- Gel is quite drippy, so prepare surfaces accordingly.
- Strong odor.
Ginger Twist Hair: L’Oreal Paris Couleur Experte Express Color + Highlights
For ginger to light brown hair. Couleur Experte Express Color + Highlight is unique amongst at-home coloring kits — it’s the only one that comes with both a base color and a complementary highlight color. Lightening, deepening, and blending your highlights can all be done with a single kit. Super convenient!
Applying the highlighter is made easier with a Blue Hi-Visibility Formula that makes it clear where you’re applying the highlighter. Precise application is achieved with a proprietary application tool included in the box. This is best suited for blonde highlights colour.
- Great for achieving a multi-dimensional look.
- Grays are blended into highlights for maximum coverage.
- Affordable alternative to salon highlights.
- If you’ve got thick, long hair, you won’t get enough coverage on the highlight included in a single kit.
- Highlights aren’t prominent.
Vintage Red hair: Schwarzkopf Color Ultime Hair Color Cream
A vintage red designed to evoke the look of classic 50s bombshells. Schwarzkkopf claims the Color Ultimate High Color Cream is a “High Definition Pigment” designed to work alongside your hair’s natural colors. Expect brilliant, vivid results that leaves your hair shiny and new. Diamon Brilliance Serum in the cream provides gray coverage for a little over 8 weeks.
- Long lasting, even by “long lasting” standards.
- Pleasant aroma.
- Color is exactly what they advertise it to be, no lighter, no darker.
- Leaves your hair with a pleasant shine.
- The color will last, but grays will reappear after two or three washes.
Malaysian Cherry Hair: Clairol Natural Instincts Hair Color
For dark red hair. If you’re not ready to commit to a long-lasting hair color, this temporary formulation is for you. The Clairol Natural Instinct hair color range contains antioxidants that protect against reactive, damaging molecules. You’ll end up with healthier hair, no grays, and reliable color results.
- No ammonia.
- Processes in just 10 minutes.
- Not harsh on hair, to keep it healthier for longer.
- Naturally fades out of your hair without unsightly orange streaks.
- The consistency is thin, so expect a lot of dripping.
Red Velvet Brown Hair: Schwarzkopf Keratin Color Intense Caring Color
For brunettes looking for a red tint. Keratin Color Intense Caring Color is formulated for older hair. It offers 100% gray coverage and contains two special elements to help with hair strength and health — a collagen complex and keratine-based coloring formula. These will repair damaged, mature hairs and significantly less breakage compared to the competition. For something special, the dye’s pigments are designed to bring out your skin tones and rejuvenate your appearance, for an overall younger appearance. The Key selling point for this color is skin flattering pigments which are meant to complement whether you have a warm skin tone or cool skin tone and thus help you look younger
- Little odor.
- Ideal for hair that is damaged and color processed already.
- Long lasting.
- Can dry out hair.
Medium Soft Chestnut Brown Hair:L’Oreal Paris Age Perfect By Excellence
For warm-toned brown hair. L’Oreal’s Age Perfect range is specifically designed for mature hair which is over 70% gray. It offers 100% gray coverage to provide a more youthful appearance to your hair. Layer Tone technology in the formula gives a natural, multi-dimensional look, great for those who don’t want their dye to be too obvious. Pro-Keratin complex nourishes old and damaged hair.
- Blends naturally into remaining hair color for those who aren’t 100% gray yet.
- Comb applicator makes work easy and precise.
- Softens the hair for a luxurious feel.
- Color can be darker than advertised.
Sweet Pecan Hair: Garnier Nutrisse Ultra Coverage Nourishing Color Creme
Naturally dark brown hair will want to consider this Sweet Pecan color. Garnier’s Cover Plus technology formulated into their Nutrisse Ultra Coverage Nourishing Color Creme matches hair’s blend of high and low tones for a natural look. 100% gray coverage by blending avocado and shea oils to moisten and condition your hair while you color.
- Smells lovely.
- No-drip formula.
- Conditions while you color.
- A little darker tone than advertised.
Deep Brown Black Hair: John Frieda Precision Foam Color
This one is for all ladies with brunette and black hair. This hair color from John Frieda comes as an easy to apply coloring foam. The foam evenly coats hair and deeply saturates for full gray coverage and rich color.
- Easy to apply evenly over the head for even color.
- Smells pleasantly.
- No-drip foam formula for mess-free coloring.
- Hair can feel a little dry afterwards.
- Starts to fade quite quickly.
Golden Light Chestnut Hair: Phytocolor Permanent Color
For light brown to dark blonde. Phyto PhytoColor Permanent Hair Color is formulated with up to 74% botanical pigments. These pigments are chosen for their deep dying capabilities, and the soft, radiant shine they leave in the hair.
- Full gray coverage.
- Natural ingredients.
- Anti-itching properties.
- Can be messy to apply.
Midnight Muse Blue Hair: Vidal Sassoon Pro Series London Luxe Collection
This interesting blue-black shade is ideal for anyone with light brown to black hair. Vidal Sassoon Pro Series London Luxe Collection colors are specially formulated to produce intense, vibrant colors. They use a proprietary coloring technology that carefully calibrates the dyes to create the most impressive results.
- Pleasant smell.
- Doesn’t leave your hair unpleasantly dry.
- Color will fade after a few washes.
Natural Frosted Brown Hair: L’Oreal Paris Excellence Cream
Ideal for brunettes of most shades. L’Oreal Paris Excellence Creme comes in a Triple Care Color application kit — a protective coloring cream that colors and protects at the same time; a post-color shampoo; and a new, lightweight mask that nourishes the hair without weigh downs.
- Conditions and strengthens hairs as you color.
- Gentle on hair and scalp.
- Precise applicator for easy, even distribution.
- Grays can be revealed after a few washes.
Deep Rose Hair: Garnier Olia Bold Permanent Hair Color
For those with light brown to blonde hair looking for an interesting color.The Garnier Olia b=Bold Permanent Hair Color lives up to its name. The deep rose color is bright and vibrant and fun, if unnatural in shade. The long-lasting formulation visibly improves hair health after use, with 100% gray coverage.
- Ammonia free with a pleasant smell.
- Made of 60% oils for a shinier finish to your hair.
- Vivid, long-lasting color.
- Fades after a few washes to reveal grays.
Natural Black Hair: Clairol Nice N Easy
For those with black hair, even jet black. Clairol Nice ’N Easy uses Color Blend Technology for its layered appearance, as we’ve mentioned. The subtle blendings of tones in the color provides a nice natural appearance. ColourSeal Gloss keeps colours noticeable for longer, while providing a healthy sheen to the look of your hair.
- Long lasting.
- Tones and contours the hair without the need for highlights.
- Blends three tones for natural appearance.
- Thin consistency, so expect drips.
Extra Light Blonde Hair: Clairol Age Defy
For those with light blonde to platinum blonde hair. Clairol Age Defy approaches the anti-ageing aspect of hair color from two fronts; restoring color, and restoring vitality to hair. The Intensifying Pre-Treat Serum strengthens your hair and prepares it to be more receptive to receive the color. Hair is nourished from the inside out, fighting against coarseness, frizz, dryness, breakage, and unruly hair.
- 100% gray coverage.
- Protects hair from future damage.
- Long lasting.
- Starts to fade after a few washes.
Very Light Golden Blonde Hair: Phyto Permanent Hair Color
For blonde hair of all shades. This cream formula from Phyto is easy to apply and gives a vibrant result in a single application. Botanical pigments are used to provide the deepest colors possible, with pigments such as Brazilwood contributing the the glossy gold sheen.
- No-drip cream formula.
- Easy to apply evenly over the hair.
- Fades quickly.
Clairol Natural Instincts Semi-Permanent Hair Dye
Multiple shades available.This new, vegan formulation is made with over 80% naturally derived ingredients and no ammonia. Semi-permanent color allows you to quickly cover up grays for a special event without committing to two months of a color. Coconut oil and aloe vera provide nourishment to the hair for softer, shinier results.
- Non-drip cream formula.
- Even application with good root coloration.
- Seamlessly blends grays.
- Says it lasts up to 28 washes, but can come out sooner.
Other Options include using henna colour to cover gray roots and improve your grey hair coverage but that mostly suits dark hair types looking to get natural shade but henna though natural is not a permanent colour and might get rid of your white hair temporarily only
How to Choose Hair Color as per your skin tone
You can take these as general guidelines for choosing your hair color as per latest hair trends for your skin type and tones.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.