A pimple or acne on your lip, or lip line, is unpleasant and unsightly. You’ll no doubt want to figure out how best to get rid of it – and quickly! The good news is there are lots of natural remedies that you can try to help zap the zit, and these treatments can be done easily in your own home. There are also lots of ways to help prevent getting them in the first place, so read on for advice and tips on How to get rid of a pimple on your lip fast.
In This Article
Cold Sore or Pimple : The Difference
Firstly, when you notice a spot or mark around your mouth, you need to be sure that it is a pimple and not a cold sore. If it is a Cold Sore you will feel itching , tingling or a burning sensation while if it is a pimple it will just show up as a red bump which will be painful to touch. Cold sores are usually more painful and can need medication to treat (they can also be contagious as they are caused by Herpes virus). If you are dealing with a pimple, check its location. If it is on the lip itself, you will need to be more gentle with your remedy. If it is on the skin around the lip line, you can use stronger products as this area is a little tougher.
How to get rid of a pimple on your lip: 13 Home Remedies
There are many methods for natural treatment of a pimple on your lip here we list 13 of them.
- Hot or Cold Compress:
- Lemon Juice:
- Orange Peel:
- Olive Oil:
- Other Oils:
- Face Cleansers:
- Aloe Vera:
One of the best and most popular home remedies to zap a lip pimple is to dab a little toothpaste on it and leave it. This is best done when you can let it work its magic, overnight or for a few hours uninterrupted. Simply wash the area and pat it dry with a clean towel and apply a small pea size of paste directly onto the pimple. This will dry out and crust, helping dry out any excess grease and sebum in the meantime.
The big debate is whether heat or cold is best to get rid of spots and the answer is a mix of both! A hot and/or cold compress can work wonders for spots, as can these methods-
– Firstly, fill up a bowl with boiling hot water (be careful) and grab a towel. Sit with your head over the bowl and the towel trapping the heat in. The steam will rise to your face. Make sure your face does not touch the water, or you’ll scald yourself. Keep your head over the bowl for around 15 minutes. The reason this works is that steam opens the pores and this means that any dirt or bacteria trapped can be released. It also means, just like exercise, you are sweating out any toxins or impurities that have built up in your skin pores.
– After the steam, you want to close the pores again. Ice is the best way to do this. Wrap a thin towel or napkin around some ice and place it onto your pimple and leave it for around 20-30 seconds before removing it. Repeat this a few times. Ice will reduce any swelling and irritation, close the pores back up to avoid dirt creeping in and reduce the size of the glands. Be sure not to apply ice directly to your skin or to leave it on for too long (it shouldn’t feel too numb).
Often used to treat acne, apply lemon juice directly on the pimple. If it burns the area or you have sensitive skin, add a drop of milk or dilute the juice with water. Try this every night before bed and the antibacterial properties of the citric acids in the lemons will get to work on dissolving your pimple. In addition, lemon juice closes the pores and constricts the tissues, stopping any excess oil from building up. Make sure you use lemons you have squeezed yourself and not bottled juice (as this contains additives and preservatives that can make spots worse).
Another great acidic fruit that works on lip pimples is orange – or, its peel. Save the peel when you eat an orange and use it to rub onto the pimple. This works in much the same way as the lemon juice.
This one might seem a little strange at first glance because oil is greasy and grease equals pimples. However, the key is to warm up the olive oil over a candle or in a pan until it is warm (not hot). Apply the oil to cotton wool and onto the pimple. The heat should help the pimple to burst naturally and vanish without popping it yourself and causing a scar.
When using cleansers, go natural! You want to be looking for ingredients such as lavender or tea tree oil that is gentle and has antibacterial qualities. If in doubt, go for a basic cleanser with very few ingredients/additives and add a few drops of tea tree oil yourself. Some pimple creams on the market can be very harsh and abrasive on your skin.
If your cleanser does not contain aloe vera, take a fresh piece of it and gently rub it directly over your pimple. Aloe vera can also be used to prevent pimples. Simply mix aloe vera, turmeric and a drop of water or almond oil and mix into a paste before applying to problem areas to prevent infections and irritations.
As mentioned in the last point, turmeric is great at clearing skin complaints or preventing them. Mix one teaspoon of turmeric with some water and apply to your lip pimple. Not only will it help cure the pimple but it will help clear the area and avoid skin irritation for the future.
Grind a couple of neem leaves with water to create a paste and apply directly to the lip pimple and rub gently. In a day or two, the pimple should disappear.
You might have heard of papaya as an ingredient in many face mask treatments. This is because it is a great natural pimple remedy. The fruit can help clear up acne and is a great addition to any homemade face mask.
Coffee is said to have many health benefits, but not many people know that it can be effective as a pimple remedy. Make a coffee treatment by adding a small amount of coffee powder and add a small amount of water. As with the Papaya or Neem, make a paste mixture and massage into the pimple. The great thing about coffee and lots of these natural remedies is that they won’t scar the skin tissue and they are gentle solutions.
Surely just plain old water is too simple and too good to be true? Well, it’s actually simple but effective, especially if you have sensitive skin or skin that may irritate easily. Splash clear water on to the pimple and leave it dry naturally (do not rub or pat it dry). This should dry up the pimple and help clear it. If your skin is less sensitive, add an oil such as Eucalyptus to the water.
Pimple on Lip : Prevention
They say that prevention is better than cure and when it comes to lip pimples, it is always worth trying to keep them away in the first place. Here’re a few hints on how to do that …
- Keep clean
- Use gentle toothpaste
- Use clean lip products
- Chill out
– wash around your mouth after you eat or drink, don’t touch your mouth with dirty hands and always wash your face thoroughly morning and night (remembering to remove makeup, including around the lips and mouth). Dirt breeds bacteria and causes spots so cleanliness and good hygiene are important.
– toothpaste with a lot of fragrance and chemicals can irritate your skin and lead to a pimple outbreak due to aggravating the skin causing extra sebum to be produced.
– drink plenty of water and flush out those toxins in your body that can cause spots. Water also has many other health benefits so it is a win-win solution.
– don’t use old lipsticks or balms and try to keep lip products to a minimum as they can clog up your pores and lead to spots.
– brushing your lips gently with your toothpaste can help exfoliate the area and get rid of any build up of old skin cells which can lead to bacteria build-up and pimples.
– Stress causes spots so try to relax and minimize the stress in your life. Some people try meditation or yoga.
– Good nutrition (clean eating) and exercise can help keep pimples away as you fuel your body with vitamins and minerals and flush out toxins through fitness and fluid.
Hopefully, by following these points over time, you will see fewer pimples altogether around your mouth. BUT if you do get one, don’t panic! Try some of the above mentioned natural methods to clear them …
If you head to a beauty store you will see shelves full of products that are said to treat pimples. Some of them are expensive and others can be harsh on your skin because of their ingredients. The good news is, you can make a mild and effective treatment in the comfort of your home by following some of the ideas above. These are natural ways to help get rid of a lip pimple fast. Why not invite your friends over for a sleepover and enjoy creating some face masks that can help clear your skin and leave you pimple-free?
More on Acne & Pimples
21 Causes & Remedies for Forehead Acne
Does Honey Help Acne & How To Use Honey For Acne
How To Get Rid Of Chin Acne ( Pimples) Fast: 21 ways
How To Get Rid of a Pimple on Your Nose: 9 Ways
Do Try Our other Posts on Skin Care
How To Get Rid of Dark Skin on Neck: 15 DIY Home Remedies
11 Best Cream Based Foundations for 2016
15 Best Face Washes for Oily Skin
How to Grow Thicker Eyebrows Naturally at Home: 11 Ways
How To Get Rid Of Dull Skin: 25 Home Remedies
How to get Clear Glowing Skin Fast Naturally at Home: 21 Home Remedies
How to Stop Oily Skin Fast: 8 Reasons & 6 Ways